Myotherapy is the assessment, treatment and management of musculoskeletal pain and dysfunction. The name is derived from the Greek prefix ‘myo’ – meaning muscle.
There are a multitude of causes of musculoskeletal dysfunction including habitual postures, work environments and duties, sporting pursuits and other recreational activities.
What does a Myotherapist do?
At Somerville Chiropractic, we have a team of experienced, highly skilled male and female Myotherapists that will utilise a host of different modalities to first of all assess, treat and then prevent the number of muscular conditions that cause injury, dysfunction and myofascial pain.
By improving the normal integrity of the soft tissue of the body, this will increase the muscular strength, improve the range of motion and decrease the pain and discomfort.
There are a number of different techniques available that our Myotherapist’s will use to treat common complaints, such as:
- Trigger point therapy
- Deep tissue massage
- Myofascial dry needling
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Thermal therapies e.g. therapeutic ultrasound
- Joint mobilisation
- Myofascial stretching
- Myofascial cupping
- Corrective and rehabilitative exercises
What are the things our Myotherapists can relieve?
- Strains and sprains
- Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) and medial epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow)
- Back pain and neck pain
- Headaches and migraines
- Carpal tunnel
- Frozen shoulder
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Traumatic and overuse injuries
- Occupational, postural, recreational, and emotional stress
- Incorrect ergonomics
- Chronic neuromuscular and musculoskeletal illness and disorders
- And many more…